Have you ever wondered about the quality of the air inside your home? Most people are familiar with the concept of air pollution only when it comes to the outdoor environment. Unfortunately, though, indoor air pollution is a much more rampant problem. The good news is there are some easy fixes to indoor air pollution that are “green” for both the planet and your wallet.
When indoor pollutants become too concentrated, illnesses can result. Allergies, asthma, respiratory diseases, and even some forms of heart disease are associated with indoor air pollution. In general, we often become sick more often in the wintertime because we spend more time indoors. Weatherization and chemical usage are the two leading causes of indoor air pollution. Protecting our homes from the freezing temps of winter has its advantages, but it also leaves little space to exchange indoor and outdoor air. That means that any chemicals or other pollutants residing in our homes will have a more challenging time escaping.
What can I do without breaking the bank?
So, what can you do to reduce the amount of pollution you and your family inhale while in your home? Here are some tips that cost little to nothing to implement but can make a big difference in your air quality:
- Bring more houseplants inside to filter the air.
- Leave your shoes at the door, so you don’t track in chemicals and other pollutants from outside.
- Fix leaky taps that can create a breeding ground for mold or bacteria.
- Open windows and doors when weather is appropriate to allow for the exchange of air.
- Limit products with VOCs such as paints and use chemicals only in a well-ventilated room.
- Use low- or non-chemical cleaning products, opting for natural cleaners such as essential oils or vinegar.
- Minimize clutter and reduce carpeting in your home to trap less dust and dander.
- Minimize or cut out the usage of air fresheners, as they contribute to indoor air pollution.
- Dust and vacuum frequently.
- Make sure your gas stove and other gas appliances are well-ventilated.
If you are looking for more intensive ways to filter the air within your home, look no further than the Heating Specialties professionals. We offer air filtration systems, air cleaners and purifiers, humidification systems, and ventilation improvements. Give us a call today at (866) 923-2653 to learn more about our services. By making one of the easy, “green” improvements above or investing in a more comprehensive air purification system, you’re not only helping the lungs of your family but our planet as well.